Chandratal lake trek & jeep safari
Tour ID: chandratal-trek
Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
Duration: 4 Days
Start from: Manali
Ends at: Manali
PRICE: INR 11500
Departures: Not announced yet.
You may suggest a date of your choice.
Chandratal lake is a spectacular sweet water lake, located in the midst of dry arid landscape of Spiti. The lake is bean shaped and has a circumference of about 2.8 kms.
The lake is situated at an altitude of about 4200 Mtrs. The water is crystal clear, and it boasts of different shades of blue as the day progresses.
One can trek from Kunzum Pass situated at an altitude of 4550 Mtrs. From here it is largely a downhill walk. Magnificent views of high Himalayan peaks of the CB range are in the vicinity all around. Chandratal lake is the source of Chandra river, which later confluences with Bhaga to form Chandra Bhaga and is later called the Chenab as it continues its journey into Pakistan.
The lake is visited as a day hike, and the entire day is spent at the lake enjoying its beautiful surroundings with a picnic lunch.
Day 1: Drive : Manali-Rohtang-Chatru-Dadarpul.
Early morning pickup from Manali, breakfast en-route at Marhi (3250 Mtrs), proceed further to Rohtang pass (3960 Mtrs) and cross into a geography which would transform from the lush green to dry and arid. This is the beginning of Lahaul and Spiti. We would drive along the Chandra River towards its source. The road from Rohtang onwards is largely unmetalled. We would camp besides the road at a nice grassy patch at Dadarpul few kilometers ahead of Chatru. Excellent views of glaciers and towering mountains and a stream flows through the camp site. Overnight tents.
Day 2: Wind up camp, and drive towards Kunzum Pass ( 4550 Mtrs ). Trek towards Chandratal lake. Largely a downhill trek with few patches of uphill and a scree scramble at the end. Would take about 3-4 hours. Base Camp is set few kms before Chandratal lake. Overnight tents.
Day 3: Early morning hike to Chandratal lake. Spend the entire day at the lake with a picnic lunch. Late afternoon hike back to the base camp for the night.
Day 4: Departure after breakfast for the drive back to Manali.
Our itinerary is 4 days ex Manali
Guests would need to have some time at Manali. We recommend the following overall schedule as minimum :
Day 1: Arrive in Manali, day at leisure, overnight at hotel.
Day 2-5: This is as above 4 day trek plan to Chandratal
Day 6: Last day at Manali, evening departure for Delhi.
|FIXED DEPARTURE||CUSTOM TOURS||CURRENCY CONVERTER|
Pickup/Drop ex Manali, overland travel in Tata Sumo or equivalent with occupancy of 5 participants per vehicle, all camping gear, kitchen and mess arrangements, trekking guide, manpower for cooking, portaging of luggage and equipment, rations.
Delhi-Manali-Delhi bus fare, Hotel stay at Manali before and after the trek, expenses of personal nature, insurance of any kind, alcoholic drinks, refreshments/meals during the road journey, anything not mentioned explicitly in the above program.
BOOKING AND CANCELLATION POLICY
- Tour needs to be booked at least 45 days in advance. Full payment is required to confirm a booking.
- 75 % refund if cancellation happens 20 days prior to departure
- 50 % refund if cancellation happens 10 days prior to departure
- No refund for any cancellation/no show in the last 10 days prior to departure
Prior to making a booking, please take a look at the TRAVEL ADVISORY section.
Personal torch, small daypack/backpack to hold the day walk necessities, all clothing/luggage in rucksack/soft bags suitable to be carried by porters or ponies, warm clothing, inner fleece body warmer lining, comfortable shoes suitable for hikes/treks, windproof jacket, warm headgear/balaclava, gloves, cameras, personal medication (first aid kit provided), sun glasses, sun protection and moisturizing cream etc
- This tour explores some remote destinations in Spiti which are at considerably high altitude, with no or limited communication possibility and/or medical facilities nearby.
- Participants should be prepared for cold conditions with strong winds and high wind chill factor.
- Trekking programs in the Himalayas not necessarily would always run exactly as scheduled. Allow for unplanned long days or early camps due to weather disruptions or similar causes.
- Any additional expenses which might occur due to delays, weather disruptions, medical evacuation etc. would need to be borne by the participants as per actual. All overstay due to weather disruption, road blocks and similar which are not under our control would be charged on pro-rata based as per tour cost for planned days.
- All participants are recommended to have a travel insurance that covers trekking and wilderness travel.